Exercise Rider Instructor, Exercise Rider and Jockey Training Program, Continuing Education
Competition #: 1066
Position Type: Contract
Closing Date: November 9, 2018 or Until Suitable Candidates are Selected
Location: Olds, Alberta
Olds College Continuing Education Department is seeking a part-time Exercise Rider Instructor for the Certified Exercise Rider & Jockey Training Program. This is a part-time recurring contract position with variable dates each year, typically between January 1 and April 30. Program delivery will be at Olds College and ‘A’ Racetracks within Alberta.
Responsibilities may include:
- Instruction in riding skills and theory specific to the flat racing industry;
- Instruction in an indoor arena, classroom, and on the racetrack while working in a team environment;
- Instruction from horseback, including the ability to catch students that may experience trouble while working in the track environment;
- Working with the lead instructor to prepare students to be successful in the competency based skills ladder leading to obtaining an exercise rider license on an HRA- A level track
- Working with the lead instructor to evaluate student performance of the specific tasks itemized on the competency based skills ladder
The successful candidate will have at least five (5) years of licensed horse racing industry experience. Candidates with other combinations of related industry experience may be considered. The successful candidate must possess advanced knowledge of the horse racing industry in the exercise rider sector and be a highly motivated team player with superior communication, interpersonal and organizational abilities. Preference will be given to candidates with previous teaching experience however; Olds College may provide Instructor Skills workshops to support candidate teaching skills.
You must be willing to work flexible hours as some weekend work and travel will be required.
Please apply quoting #1066. Preference will be given to applications received by November 9, 2018 however; this competition will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.