I think we’ve all had about enough snow, and hope it stays away for the rest of the meet! Thank you to Century Downs for sponsoring the remaining awards for 2018.
Monthly Awards for October:
- Backstretch Person – Karline Kingston – Sponsored by Century Downs
- Pony Person – Kwame Joseph - Sponsored by Century Downs
- Exercise Rider – Amanda Dixon – Sponsored by Century Downs
- Shedrow of the month – Joan Petrowski Stable – Sponsored by Century Downs
Congratulations to all of the winners!
- FREE Lunch on Century Downs - On Thursday, October 25 at noon to 1:30 in the Homestretch Room, Century will be serving lunch to all HRA licensees as a Thank you for hard work during the meet.
- “Veterans of Horse Racing” event – October 27th at Century Downs Homestretch Room 6:00 pm courtesy of Bob Allen. There will be 12 Trainer honorees on the evening. Everyone welcome!
- Trainer Rebate for WCB Premiums - It is a requirement for Trainers to carry WCB coverage for workers, so the board of the HBPA of Alberta has decided to offer a rebate to help offset this cost in 2018. The rebate is based on $5/start at Northlands and Century Downs and is available to trainers who provide a clearance letter from WCB of their good standing with the WCB of Alberta. You can come see Theresa to help you with your clearance letter if needed.
- Shavings billing for Century Downs 2018 - Trainers are billed for Environmental Fees/Shavings at the end of each month for their allotted stalls ($50/stall/month or $3/day for part-months) regardless if they choose to use it for a horse or not. It is the Trainer’s responsibility to report any unused stalls to The Race Secretary, or Horsemen’s Bookkeeper. Trainers are reminded to make sure they have funds made available for their Shavings billing. Papers will be withheld if this is not done.
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA groom, exercise rider, assistant trainer, or gate crew license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Deadline for forms is October 27th, please pick up from Theresa Sealy.
- TLC and CTHS have been getting requests from individuals looking for OTTBs. If you are looking to rehome or retire a TB off the track please contact the CTHS office at 403-229-3609.
Message from Jackson Wittup and the backstretch staff at Century Downs - I would like to thank everyone for their help and cooperation this meet. We were all part of history being made in Calgary (32cm’s of snow), thank you for your patience during the altered training schedule. Our track and barn operation team have an enormous task ahead of them, we race Thoroughbreds on Sunday and Standardbreds the following Saturday, please consider all involved and move your horses out as soon as possible. On behalf of the Staff and Management of Century Downs I hope you are able to enjoy the break (however you spend it) between now and spring training at CENTURY MILE!!!