Thank you to the individuals and stables that have offered sponsorship for the monthly awards! We need help for the rest of the season (including Century Downs). We offer to Stables or Individuals to sponsor our Monthly awards at $50/month. If you would like to be a sponsor, please contact Theresa Sealy for the information. Your name and the winner of your award will be printed in the monthly newsletter. These are the 4 sponsorships each month up for offer:
Monthly Awards for July
- Backstretch Person – Ringo Severight - Award sponsor – HRA Backstretch Foundation
- Pony Person – Garth Jules - Award sponsor – HRA Backstretch Foundation
- Exercise Rider –– Jodie Hiesinger - Award Sponsor – HRA Backstretch Foundation
- Shedrow of the month – Jerri Robertson Stable - Award Sponsor - HRA Backstretch Foundation
Congratulations to all of the winners! Good luck to everyone in August!
- The HBPA of Alberta invites you to the 2018 Annual General Meeting which will be held Wednesday August 22nd, at 5:30 in the Sky Paddock. Meet the new members of our 2018 - 2021 board.
- 2018 Alberta Breeders’ Fall Classic - Sunday, September 16th will be the first time the Alberta Breeders’ Fall Classic has been held at Century Downs Racetrack. Join us as we celebrate everything made in Alberta. From our fabulous Alberta bred Thoroughbreds to the amazing Albertans who are behind some of the best products in the world. The Made in Alberta Marketplace will be at Century Downs bringing together some of the favourite vendors you saw in Edmonton to some brand new ones from the Calgary and surrounding areas. #ABBredsrock
- The 2018 CTHS AB Sale is Wednesday September 19th at 2:00 pm at Olds Regional Exhibition Mega Dome. For more information go to CTHS 2018 Sale
- We’re “On Track to Beat Cancer”, October 6th, 2018! If you have the “balls” then join us on Sunday, October 6th for the annual “On Track to Beat Cancer” day at Century Downs Racetrack and Casino. We’ll be raising funds for the Calgary Prostate Cancer Centre with the feature race of the day, the C Cup Classic.
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among Canadian men (excluding non-melanoma skin cancers). It is the 3rd leading cause of death from cancer in men in Canada. On average, 58 Canadian men were diagnosed with prostate cancer every day. On average, 11 Canadian men died from prostate cancer every day.
Many thanks for Bar None Ranches for being one of our major sponsors for this event. We’re looking for other sponsors for the C Cup Classic and On Track to Beat Cancer. If you’re interested in supporting this very worthwhile event please contact the C.T.H.S. office at 403-229-3609.
- Horsemen on accounts, from the Northlands Park Bookkeeper - Cheque request cutoff is August 27th, final cheque issue date is August 28th, final cheque pickup date is August 29th before noon. All remaining accounts will be transferred to the HBPA and Century accounts.
- Century Downs and staff are looking forward to the Thoroughbreds coming back to Century Downs. The first tent barn is up and in operation, the second one is well in the process and there will be four total. They ask all Horsemen to have extreme patience during the switchover as they are racing Standardbreds on the 25th, Thoroughbred’s allowed to ship in on the 28th, track opens and entries will be taken for the first days on the 29th
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy
- TLC and CTHS have been getting requests from individuals looking for OTTBs. If you are looking to rehome or retire a TB off the track please contact the CTHS office at 403-229-3609.