Thank you to the individuals and stables that have offered sponsorship for the monthly awards! We need help for the rest of the season (including Century Downs). We offer to Stables or Individuals to sponsor our Monthly awards at $50/month. If you would like to be a sponsor, please contact Theresa Sealy for the information. Your name and the winner of your award will be printed in the monthly newsletter. These are the 4 sponsorships each month up for offer:
- Backstretch Person – Brady Betlamini – Sponsored by The Backstretch Foundation
- Pony Person – Devon Stead - Sponsored by The Backstretch Foundation
- Exercise Rider – Rod Haynes – Sponsored by The Backstretch Foundation
- Shedrow of the Month - Carson Frey Stables – Sponsored by The Backstretch Foundation
- ATTENTION Horsemen - Stall applications for the 2018 Thoroughbred/Quarter Horse meet at Century Downs are now available for pickup at the Northlands Race Office. Applications must be submitted by July 29
- The C Cup Classic race will be on Saturday, October 6th at Century Downs and this year will be raising funds for the Calgary Prostate Cancer Centre. The Man Van will be there! We will be looking for sponsors and riders so if anyone is interested in being a part of “On Track to Beat Cancer” and/or the C Cup Classic they can contact Jean Kruse, Theresa Sealy, or Kirsty Luft-Nault.
- Horse Racing Alberta (HRA) is pleased to announce the appointment of Kent Verlik as Chief Executive Officer beginning August 1st.
- The Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society (CTHS) is extremely excited to announce the expansion of the Western Sales Stakes series to include Ontario thus making the series a truly Canadian initiative. As a result, any Canadian-Bred yearling passing through any CTHS yearling sale in 2018 will now be eligible for the Sales Stakes in any Province.
- Canadian Amateur Jockeys Association now has their incorporation number! They are working to have a few races in 2018. If you are interested in becoming an amateur jockey, Stephan will be at Northlands Park July 6th for approvals from the gate. See Theresa Sealy for more information.
- Trainer’s test – Anyone who is planning to write their Thoroughbred “A” Trainers or Assistant Trainers for 2018, please see Theresa Sealy at the HBPA office.
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held an HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy.
- TLC and CTHS have been getting requests from individuals looking for OTTBs. If you are looking to rehome or retire a TB off the track please contact the CTHS office at 403-229-3609.