Welcome back to Calgary – at Century Downs!
Thank you to the individuals and stables that have offered sponsorship for the monthly awards! We still need sponsors for October. We offer to Stables or Individuals to sponsor our Monthly awards at $50/month. If you would like to be a sponsor, please contact Theresa Sealy for the information. Your name and the winner of your award will be printed in the monthly newsletter. These are the 4 sponsorships each month up for offer:
Monthly Awards for September:
- Backstretch Person – Kolina Crowe (Award sponsor – Backstretch Foundation)
- Pony Person – Devon Stead (Award sponsor – Backstretch Foundation)
- Exercise Rider – Mauricio Malvaez (Award Sponsor – Jerri Robertson)
- Shedrow of the month – Joan Petrowski (Award Sponsor – Backstretch Foundation)
Congratulations to all of the winners! Good luck to everyone in October!
- Brian Leavitt memorial race – Lori Leavitt and family would like to invite Brian’s family and friends to join them during the 6th race on Saturday September 30th.
- Trainers with a WCB account are eligible to apply for a $5 rebate/start from the HBPA of AB with a letter of good standing from WCB. To be completed by October 1st.
- Horsemen’s HBPA Thanksgiving Dinner will be held Saturday October 7th at Century Downs Homestretch room (2nd floor) at 6:00 pm. Tickets are available from Theresa Sealy. Turkey dinner with all the fixings!
- The C – Cup Classic charity race is being held at Century Downs on October 15th to raise funds for the Cancer Research Institute of Northern Alberta for breast cancer research. This race will be about 4 Furlongs for Thoroughbreds and Quarter Horses with experienced ladies or gentlemen riders choosing a horse and entering their team. To see the riders and make an online pledge please go to: http://www.ontracktobeatbreastcancer.com/
- C-Cup Pony contest – 1st prize - $250, 2nd prize - $150.00, 3rd prize - $100.00 for the best dressed pony for the C-Cup Classic breast cancer fundraiser! Sponsored by Austin Contracting.
- Make sure to mark the date on Saturday, October 14th from 6:00 pm to 10:00 date to join in the fundraising event for Horses, Hats and Hope! Thank you to sponsors Smithbilt Hats and Cam Clark Ford! Food will be provided by The NASH restaurant at the Smithbilt Hats location. A silent auction, virtual horse racing and a fashion show of Smithbilt Hats will be a part of the fundraising evening. Attendees will also get a chance to meet our C Cup Classic riders. Tickets are $100 and only 60 will be sold. Contact the CTHS office to purchase your tickets. No tickets will be available at the door.
- Jockey Silks – Please deliver your owners jockey silks to Jackson Whittup prior to race weekend.
- All Horsemen with a valid HRA license receive a 25% discount at Century Downs Mid City Grill on meals excluding race days from 12:00 – last race and food specials.
- Shavings Billing for Century 2017 – Trainers are billed at the end of each month. It is the Trainers responsibility to report any unused stalls to the Jackson Whittup or Tim Lawson. Trainers invoice will be withdrawn from your account with the horsemen’s bookkeeper.
- The Days Inn just north-east of Century Downs will open October 2nd with a $99 horsemen’s rate or a $455.00 weekly rate that includes breakfast – 1-877-516-3297.
- Bib numbers are in the coffee/drivers room at the east end of barn 1. The HBPA has new ones being made so we have 8 for each race. Please make sure your horse handler wears the bib.
- Century Downs and the HBPA are pleased to announce the addition of 2 race days to the fall meet – Monday October 2nd, and Thanksgiving Monday October 9th.
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy